Although it is an unfortunate situation, cars break down on occasion. If this happens to you, you’ll want to be prepared and know the proper steps to take to avoid any further issues when placed in this situation. If your car breaks down in the Plainfield, Bloomington, Indianapolis, or Fishers areas, we’re here to help at Andy Mohr Collision Center.
Stay Safe and Follow These Tips
- Take Note of Your Location – While you’re likely aware of the road on which you’re traveling and you know your general area, make sure to include any mile marker signs if you’re on the highway. Also, take note of directional markers, road signs, and landmarks that may make your location easier to locate.
- Move Your Vehicle to Safety – If you can maneuver your vehicle out of the flow of traffic onto the side of the road, safely do so. This helps to avoid any collisions and takes you and your vehicle out of harm’s way.
- Diagnose the Issue – No, this doesn’t mean leave your vehicle and check under the hood or anything like that. If you’re seeing smoke coming from the engine area or if your oil pressure bottomed out, this will be helpful information for your tow truck driver.
- Make Your Presence Known – The first step is to turn on your hazard lights, which helps other drivers see that you’re there, especially at night or in inclement weather. If you have a roadside emergency kit that includes flares or a warning signal—and it is safe to leave your vehicle—then place them about 10 feet behind your vehicle.
- Call for Help – Now that you’ve made your situation as safe as possible by alerting other drivers and leaving the flow of traffic, it’s time to call for roadside assistance. When you speak to someone, tell them every landmark you’ve taken note of in order to pinpoint your exact location. This is especially helpful in larger cities where there may be several sections of interstate.
- Don’t Leave the Scene – It’s important when you’ve called for a tow truck or your roadside assistance service that you stay with your vehicle. They may have questions about where you would like your vehicle to go and will need all of your information in order for the service center to contact you.
Our Service Centers
By having your vehicle towed to one of our body shops, you’ve placed your vehicle in very capable hands. We are fully staffed by a team of highly trained and certified technicians. Each one of these service technicians is well-qualified to diagnose what may be happening with your vehicle, but they can also repair the issue as well.
We offer four convenient locations to which you may have your vehicle moved if it breaks down in the Fishers, Bloomington, Indianapolis, or Plainfield areas. This allows us to serve a broader area and keeps our drivers well within any mileage limitations dictated by their vehicle assistance service. If your vehicle comes to Andy Mohr Collision Center after hours, you’ll hear from us first thing in the morning to discuss your service needs.