When Does a Bumper Need to Be Replaced?
Andy Mohr Collision Center
If you’ve been involved in a front-end collision that’s left your front bumper bent out of shape and are wondering what to do as far as repairs go, you can either have it fixed or replaced by a professional technician in the Plainfield, Indianapolis, Fishers, and Bloomington, IN, areas.
Have you been asking yourself: When does a bumper need to be replaced? Our team at Andy Mohr Collision Centers has the answer for you! Below, we’ll go over when you should replace your front bumper, why it’s important to have it replaced, and how you can schedule an estimate.
When to Replace Your Front Bumper
If you accidentally ran into a pole while parking or backed up into another vehicle, you may have incurred minor dents or dings that can be repaired by common body shop methods. However, if your front bumper has taken a serious hit that’s caused a large dent or crack, replacement should be the solution.
If you’ve noticed any of the following, you should have your bumper replaced:
- A cracked bumper—Your front bumper loses its structural integrity when it’s cracked. To ensure your safety, a replacement would be ideal here.
- Damaged or broken bumper hooks—A bumper’s hooks are what helps it adhere to the valance panel, grille, and splash guard. If these hooks are damaged, this can cause your bumper to fall off. To avoid this, a replacement should be the solution.
- Underlying body damage—A severely damaged front bumper can cause more problems to a vehicle’s frame. Replacing it and checking any underlying damage will keep you safe in the long run.
- Widespread denting—If your front bumper has large or many dents, common dent repair may not work. A severely dented bumper may compromise the parts under the surface. It’s better to have it replaced in this instance, alongside other necessary repairs.
- Damaged connection points—Some vehicles have molded bumpers, which makes the vehicle’s exterior look like one long seamless piece. However, if this type of bumper is damaged, it can cause damage to welded connection points—crucial aspects that hold the bumper in place. Replacing it will allow the techs to check all other parts of the frame as well.
Why You Should Replace Your Damaged Front Bumper
Your front and rear bumpers are meant to absorb any impact they take to help keep you and your passengers safe. On top of ensuring your safety, here are some reasons why replacing your front bumper is so important:
- Any cracks or dents can affect its structural integrity.
- Damaged hooks or connections make the bumper unstable.
- There may be damage underneath the bumper.
- If you want to sell the car in the future, a repaired bumper may not be as appealing as a replaced bumper.
How to Schedule an Appointment
When you’re ready to have your front bumper replaced, you can schedule an estimate online from the comfort of your home.
Schedule a Bumper Replacement Estimate Today
If you If you need to repair or replace your front or rear bumper, schedule an appointment at Andy Mohr Collision Centers near Plainfield, Indianapolis, Fishers, and Bloomington, Indiana, today.